Alliance seeks Coalition Organizer
The Alliance is a coalition of community-based organizations and advocacy groups with a mission to advance justice and equity in economic growth and land development in the Twin Cities region. The Alliance operates from a commitment to four core principles:
- Elevating the wisdom of communities, who we believe are experts in their own lives and have the best ideas to make positive changes in their communities. Specifically Black, Indigenous and People of Color communities who have been most systemically and historically excluded and harmed by development.
- Grassroots Organizing. Through coalition building we connect grassroots organizations to more power and resources, expanding leadership to create lasting change.
- Shared leadership and accountability among our members and allies, which includes shared leadership, ideas, resources and public accountability to and with the diverse communities represented in the Twin Cities region.
- Regional equity requires the centering of racial, economic, environmental, and health equity in every aspect of our work and our organization.
The Alliance is seeking a Coalition Organizer who will support community driven coalitions of allied organizations in issue campaigns that shift power within systems and create tangible community benefits. Issues the Alliance works on include: fair and affordable housing, tenant protections, BIPOC small business support, employment disparities, transit and mobility, climate action, environmental justice, and equitable development. This position will initially focus on affordable housing and tenant protections.
- Build support for a broader justice movement that recognizes the interdependence of people, policies, and land-use decisions.
- Organize and support coalitions made up of the Alliance’s member organizations, and allied partner groups, in specific campaigns.
- Lead the co-creation of organizing plans with coalition partners.
- Deepen existing organizing work in communities of color through supportive issue organizing and building relationships of trust
- Support community coalitions as they work directly with the public sector and help create the conditions for low-wealth communities and communities of color to shape local and regional decision-making.
- Facilitate, strengthen, and expand internal coalition relationships and public sector relationships.
- Experience or knowledge of fair housing issues and tenant protections, such as inclusionary zoning, tenant opportunity to purchase, just cause eviction, and the Five Pillars of Affordable Housing
- 3 or more years of organizing experience in community, labor or coalitions and success with issue campaigns
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills via email, phone, notetaking, facilitation, and public forums
- Proven ability to work well as a team member and to facilitate/coordinate diverse groups of people
- Demonstrated capacity to meet deadlines and manage multiple tasks with attention to details
- Excellent personal accountability, self-motivation and follow through skills
- Demonstrated commitment and passion for environmental, racial and economic justice
- Skillful in discerning and navigating power dynamics and building trusting relationships
- Experience building relationships with and strategically navigating public sector decision-making systems to ensure community benefits
- Knowledge of various advocacy and organizing approaches, the public policy making process, and equitable development issues
- Clarity in understanding historic and systemic oppression, racism and white supremacy
Time & compensation:
This position is full-time. Salary range is $54,000-$61,000. The Alliance offers a full benefits package.
How to apply: Email cover letter and resume to the Alliance at: email@example.com. Individuals who identify as Black, Indigenous, immigrant, or Person of Color are encouraged to apply. The Alliance is an equal opportunity employer.