Alliance Seeks Policy Advocate
The Alliance is a coalition of community-based organizations and advocacy groups building shared power to advance strategic campaigns around the intersections of racial justice, economic justice, environmental justice, and health equity. Our mission is to advance justice and equity in economic growth and land-use development in the Twin Cities region.
The Alliance seeks a Policy Advocate who will support community driven coalitions of allied organizations in issue campaigns that achieve short-term victories and build long-term power. In conjunction with our coalition partner groups and Alliance staff, the Policy Advocate will track, research and develop innovative policy positions and lift up transformative equitable development strategies in the Twin Cities metropolitan area. They will also apply a racial equity analysis in the development of educational resources that advance organizing activities within the field.
This position will examine and advocate for a variety of policy approaches, equitable investments and best practices by the public, private, and nonprofit sectors. Areas of work typically include: assisting local community leadership in engaging decision-makers to shape and define how regional development projects unfold, preserving and expanding affordable housing opportunities, supporting policies which prevent displacement, advancing banking accountability practices, supporting transit investment and improvement campaigns, and promoting equitable workforce and economic development policies.
- Build support for a broader justice movement that recognizes the interdependence of people, policies, and land-use decisions.
- Deepen existing organizing work in communities of color through supportive issue organizing and building relationships of trust.
- Foster local leadership to secure community benefits by changing policies and systems so that everyone benefits from development.
- Support community coalitions as they work with the public sector and help create the conditions for low-wealth communities and communities of color to shape local and regional decision-making.
- Provide policy and research assistance to coalitions made up of the Alliance’s member organizations, and allied partner groups, in specific campaigns.
- Work closely with other Alliance staff to support organizing plans and strategies with timely data, research, inventories of local and national best practice, and policy initiatives co-developed with our allied partner groups.
- Promote best practices and learning opportunities from local and national organizing and equitable development fields via presentations, special reports etc.
- Convene and staff campaign tables focused on mega-development opportunity sites throughout the region.
- Engage public officials to advance equitable development policies, practices and investments.
- Facilitate, strengthen, and expand both internal coalition relationships and public sector relationships.
- 3 or more years of policy advocacy experience, and success with issue campaigns
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent public presentation skills
- Proven ability to work well as a team member and to facilitate/coordinate diverse groups of people
- Demonstrated capacity to meet deadlines and manage multiple tasks
- Experience synthesizing complicated data analysis, academic research/studies, and media coverage into easily understood materials and publications that on-the-ground organizers and activists can use and distribute
- Excellent personal accountability, self-motivation and follow through skills
- Demonstrated commitment to and passion for environmental, racial and economic justice
- Skillful in discerning and navigating power dynamics and building trusting relationships
- Experience strategically navigating public sector decision-making systems
- Knowledge of various advocacy and organizing approaches, the public policy making process, and equitable development issues
Time and compensation:
This is a full-time position. Salary is commensurate with experience. The Alliance offers a full benefits package.
How to apply:
Email cover letter and resume to the Alliance at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Alliance is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages black, indigenous, and people of color to apply.