Recap: Advancing Equity in Environmental and Climate Justice
Shaking the foundations of organizations and coalitions that have long espoused a commitment to racial equity, recent events have catalyzed a new clarity that deep structural changes are necessary. Our communities have been on the frontlines of environmental movements for generations, but our strategies and solutions have been invisibilized, minimized and tokenized in the historically white-dominant organizations and campaigns that have monopolized financial resources, political agendas and public awareness.
At our July 2020 event, we examined how environmental and climate justice narratives and agendas need to not just be influenced but truly led by BIPOC organizers who hold the insight and solutions that can bring real change.
- Mysti Babineau and Sam Grant, MN350
- Dominique Diaddigo-Cash, Sierra Club North Star Chapter
- Nazir Khan, MN BIPOC Environmental and Climate Justice Table
- Kathryn Hoffman, Minnesota Center for Environmental Advocacy
- Janiece Watts, Fresh Energy